Header image: A BBMF Spitfire cockpit is waiting for the lucky winner of the RAF Memorial Flight Official Club ballot prize for June. (Photo: Lisa Harding)
This month one lucky member of the RAF Memorial Flight Official Club will win a ‘money cannot buy it’ opportunity to experience what it is like to sit in the cockpit of a BBMF Spitfire.
How to enter the ballot
All current members of the RAF Memorial Flight Club have been automatically entered into this month’s ballot.
If you’re not already a member, please join the Club before 30th June 2023. As well as being entered into this month’s prize draw, you’ll also receive a Club membership pack. Members can also claim free aircraft hangar tours at the BBMF Visitor Centre, they will receive our Club magazine, published twice a year, and can register for the monthly e-newsletters with content exclusive to Club members. If you would like to renew your membership please click here.
About this month’s prize
The winner will be able to climb into the cockpit of one of the BBMF’s airworthy Spitfires and the controls and instrumentation will be explained to them. The prize is available on any weekday, by prior arrangement, from July up to the end of September 2023 at the BBMF’s home at RAF Coningsby. Access to the BBMF hangar will be via the BBMF Visitor Centre. Only the prize winner will be able to sit in the cockpit, but the winner may bring up to three guests to take photographs and to share in the experience of a ‘behind the scenes’ tour of the BBMF hangar, with a guide who has flown the Flight’s Spitfires.
Sitting in the cockpit of a BBMF Spitfire is a once in a lifetime experience, but some restrictions apply. To make sure you are able to take up this prize and to be fully prepared for your day please note these points:
- Spitfire cockpits are small - please see the measurements above for your information.
- You will be required to empty all your pockets of all items to prevent the possibility of anything dropping into the cockpit and becoming a loose article or foreign object debris hazard.
- You must be physically fit enough to climb a small number of steps, lift your legs into the cockpit and support you full body weight with your arms to lower yourself into the cockpit and lift yourself out again.
- Please wear trousers. Skirts and dresses may be undignified or even restrict or prevent access.
- Please wear flat shoes with a good grip on them, the BBMF cannot allow access to the cockpit with inappropriate footwear.
- You are more than welcome to take pictures once inside the cockpit, but note that smartphones must be in flight/airplane mode. You can also be photographed in the cockpit from outside.
Please note that this prize does not include any travel and accommodation costs.