Header image: A BBMF Spitfire cockpit is waiting for the lucky winner of the RAF Memorial Flight Official Club ballot prize for May.
This month one lucky member of the RAF Memorial Flight Official Club will win a ‘money cannot buy it’ opportunity to experience what it is like to sit in the cockpit of a BBMF Spitfire.
How to enter the ballot
All current members of the RAF Memorial Flight Club have been automatically entered into this month’s ballot.
If you’re not already a member, please join the Club before 31 May 2017. You will be entered into this month’s prize draw and will receive a Club membership pack by post. Members can also claim free aircraft hangar tours at the BBMF Visitor Centre and will receive our Club magazine twice a year as well as monthly e-newsletters with content exclusive to Club members.
About this month’s prize
The winner will be able to climb into the cockpit of one of the BBMF’s airworthy Spitfires and the controls and instrumentation will be explained to them. The prize is available on any weekday, by prior arrangement, up to the end of September 2017 at the BBMF’s home at RAF Coningsby.
Access to the BBMF hangar will be via the BBMF Visitor Centre. Only the prize winner will be able to sit in the cockpit, but the winner may bring up to three guests to take photographs and to share in the experience of a ‘behind the scenes’ tour of the BBMF hangar, with a guide who has flown the Flight’s Spitfires.
Sitting in the cockpit of a BBMF Spitfire is a once in a lifetime experience, but some restrictions apply. To make sure you are able to take up this prize and to be fully prepared for your day please note these points:
- Spitfire cockpits are small - please see the measurements above for your information.
- You will be required to empty all your pockets of all items to prevent the possibility of anything dropping into the cockpit and becoming a loose article or foreign object debris hazard.
- You must be physically fit enough to climb a small number of steps, lift your legs into the cockpit and support you full body weight with your arms to lower yourself into the cockpit and lift yourself out again.
- Please wear trousers. Skirts and dresses may be undignified or even restrict or prevent access.
- Please wear flat shoes with a good grip on them, the BBMF cannot allow access to the cockpit with inappropriate footwear.
- You are more than welcome to take pictures once inside the cockpit. Please bring a compact camera with a strap or a smartphone which must be in flight/airplane mode. You can also be photographed in the cockpit from outside.